Friday, February 8, 2013

5 Things I LOVE about Mozambique


1. "Meus filhos"- Nhemba and Botao. The cat and dog who have been my companions, entertainment and family during these two years.

2. "Minha Empregada"-My housekeeper. Her name is Adelaide. She's only one year younger than me but she has already lived so much and has shown me true resiliency. She is the mother of the most adorable little boy in all of Africa! She's strong, beautiful, determined and has made my life here not only cleaner but a lot more comfortable as well. Whenever I don't know how to do something, where to buy necessary items or how to say certain things there she is with her bright smile to the rescue. She's so much more than a "maid", she's my friend.

3. "Comida da rua"-Street food! You can buy almost anything on the street here. From hard boiled eggs, chicken on a stick and an ice cold soda to socks, perfume, kitchen utensils, gold chains, beer, peanuts, light bulbs, nail clippers, diapers, jeans, sandals, lotion, a glass of wine, chips, towels, hats or even a new (probably pre-owned) cell phone.

4. "Fruta! Fruta!! Fruta!!!"- Fresh fruits. You can literally go outside and pick produce of trees. I have been in tropical fruit paradise! We're currently at the end of mango/pineapple season which means mango salsa, pineapple fried rice, mango pasta saucem pineapple jame, mango jam, pineapple-mango juice!! The possibilities are endless and the products are virtually free! Soon we'll over run by avocados, oranges and tangerines. YUM!

5. "Boleia"- Hithc hiking culture. I would NEVER attempt this in the States (and officially have never done it in Moz**) but here it is nothing to put your hand out and be offered a ride by a complete stranger who just happens to be going your way and who would love to have your company along the way. There are the occasional creepersm but most people just want to talk about what on Earth I'm doing so far from home and how much we both love President Obama!

Until the next 5!
Peace & Love
Mama Jay in Moz

No comments:

Post a Comment